Sunday, February 14, 2010

Norway-- Part I- Oslo

After the disaster mentioned on the last blog post, I went back to Paris where I stayed until I got on a plane to Oslo... Didn't feel like doing much, but managed to hang out with a couple of friends, and even meet a good friend of a good friend... :)

Then I bundled up and layered up with as much clothing as I could, and headed for the airport. Temperature in Oslo -5C (about 20F).

My first impression when getting out of the plane was that I had arrived in a black and white winter wonderland. Everything was beautiful and white...



(So the picture isn't great but it was taken from the bus, so give me a break...)

Arriving in Oslo, I met one of my hosts in front of the National Theater, and we went home. The people I stayed with could NOT have been more wonderful. There were 6 of them to begin with, and I had moments of great fun and interesting, stimulating conversation with each of them, and a really incredible experience in Oslo. Here are a few pictures...


Sunday morning on the way to Korketrekken with my hosts Meera, Frode and Gunnar. The 1952 Olympics used that same route for their sleigh competitions... and it was perfect weather, clear blue skies, no wind, just perfect!!!



That's Meera flying by... I stopped in the middle of the track to take pictures of people, and then when it was going to be my turn, I ran out of battery... silly me. :(


That was this crazy "let's all dance like we're in kindergarden" thing on Monday night. It happened at a pub, but there's nothing there on Monday, the place is closed, they don't even sell anything, but during one hour, this girl puts silly dance music and makes us all dance like maniacs. It was a LOT of fun!!!




The opera house by night...




That's me standing on a frozen river.... yep, that's right... frozen RIVER! See the bridge behind me? yeah, it's not cold at all over here...


After we got home I made dinner for all of us at Bianca and Ingrid's house...



Another beautiful and sunny day at Vigeland Parken, with hosts Katrina and Tine...


Jump! :)


I seem to have developed a strange obsession for making snow-angels...

Beautiful sunset over the frozen fjord... (yep, it was frozen... so much so that the boat cruises weren't operating... bummer!)

My last night in Oslo, I made dinner for my 6 hosts plus 4 friends, and it was wonderful! :)

But tomorrow, I fly to Tromsø, way  north of the Artic Circle, to visit my good friend Joar...

2 comments:

Jonas Raabjerg said...

That jump at the Monolith is pretty impressive.. :)

Steph said...

You look beautiful and happy