Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Backpack or suitcase?


I'm a backpacker. It doesn't matter where I go or for how long, you can be certain that I'll be carrying a backpack. And the more I travel, the smaller the backpack is getting. It's amazing how much stuff you don't need.

But I'm not here to convince you to travel with a backpack (even if they are more convenient, easier to carry in all terrains, have several pockets to help you organize your stuff, and are generally better in every respect...), because ultimately, it's your choice.

There are occasions when suitcases are perfectly acceptable, and even necessary. If you're going to a 5 star hotel, and you walk in with a backpack, they immediately look at you a bit weird. (Trust me, I've done it). If you're traveling with an organized tour and they'll pick you up at the airport, take you to your hotel, and generally take care of all your transport so that you don't have to walk or lift a finger, then by all means, take a suitcase. If you're traveling in your own car, and you're driving straight to the hotel where someone will take your bags and take them to your room, again, by all means, take a suitcase.

What I don't understand is this: people who travel like backpackers, i.e.: stay in backpackers hotels/guesthouses/hostels, around dirt roads or beaches, having to rely on public transportation (which sometimes means moto-taxis) and still bring a suitcase. Tell me, how do you carry a suitcase in a moto-taxi???


Honestly, either get some money and travel on the 1st class circuit, or buy a backpack already!!

No comments: